Open the hood of the Prius by pulling the hood release lever within the vehicle. Locate the automatic transmission fluid reservoir and dipstick; look on the passenger side of the vehicle for a red dipstick labeled “ATF.”
Why is there no transmission dipstick?
Automatic transmissions which use World Standard (WS) fluid are sealed and do not consume fluid. This eliminates the need for periodic fluid checking using a dipstick. The transmission fluid does not need to be replaced unless an inspection shows it has become necessary.
What are the symptoms of low transmission fluid?
Signs of Low Transmission Fluid
- Noises. If your transmission is working properly, you shouldn’t hear any noise while you’re driving as it should transition smoothly. …
- Burning Smell. Any foul smell coming from your car should direct you to your nearest service center. …
- Transmission Leaks. …
- Slipping Gears.
Does a Prius use transmission fluid?
The second-gen Toyota Prius uses 4 quarts of Toyota WS (world standard) automatic transmission fluid. The non-conductive additives in the fluid are meant for use in hybrids. The fluid needs to be changed to avoid problems. The simple part is draining; the hard part is refilling.
How often should Prius transmission fluid be changed?
Most new vehicles are equipped with an automatic transmission. As a result, there’s not really much maintenance to perform. Still, most owner’s manuals will recommend changing the transmission fluid every 90,000 miles or so.
How do u change transmission fluid?
Let’s do this!
- Lift the car if necessary. …
- Pop the hood, find the transmission fluid cap, and remove the cap.
- Locate the transmission’s fluid pan.
- Place the drain pan underneath the pan.
- Using the socket wrench, remove the transmission pan’s bolts.
- Let the fluid drain completely out of the transmission.
What is a transaxle on a Prius?
In this article we will take a look at the Prius transaxle in particular. A Transaxle is a combination of the transmission, differential, and ancillary systems around the axle that have been integrated into one assembly. … In other words, the transmission/drive system are all contained in one box.
What type of transmission fluid does a Toyota Prius take?
FRAM Transmission Fluid – Full Synthetic Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Quart (Part No. F426) FRAM DEXRON®-VI FULL SYNTHETIC ATF represents the latest technology in full synthetic automatic transmission fluids.